Thursday, March 6, 2014

Portrait Commissions Can Be Rewarding!!

I know that some of you have heard my struggles with pleasing clients and the pressures that go along with painting to please someone else. I know, I know…I keep saying 'paint to please yourself'! Be true to your own instincts about this. Bottom line is that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE painting the face and the figure. I just don't get as excited about a still life or landscape!!! 


I wanted to share a recent experience with you on a portrait for a beautiful bride to be…Krista! She is such a beauty that my main concern was capturing that beauty in a way that did her justice. She was recently married and shared the video trailer with me in which my portrait of her was featured for a quick moment toward the end. https://vimeo.com/88226033
I would have loved to work from life with Krista but it was not possible so I had to use the photos she sent. At the bottom I have included a head study I did of her one evening before beginning the portrait.
It is so rewarding to be a part of something as special as this and I wanted to share the process with you!!

Above are four of the images that she sent me to choose from. 

I chose the one below


STAGE 1 Quick sketch with charcoal & blocking in color

STAGE 2  covering the canvas with my best shot at color & value, then beginning to tweak it

QUITE A FEW MORE STAGES IN BETWEEN..

These were taken toward the end as I sent images to the client for input. Very minor changes were made as they made suggestions and as I continued to work

Final Comparison of a close up shot


Preliminary HEAD STUDY






No comments:

Post a Comment